Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Lord of the Flies

When I was younger, I had always been fascinated with books. However, books were very expensive and my parents could not spare money for my interests. Basically, buying books was, for me then, a luxury. Now however that I am earning on my own, I make it a point to buy books, especially the classics. You see, I usually go to the Xavier University Libraries and their recent collections of literature books simply make me drop my jaw! I could remember wanting to bring them all home, but of course that is not possible. So now, I have the "luxury" of collecting books for my personal library.
Just recently, I read "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. Basically, the novel talks about these small kids whose plane crashed in an island. They were trapped there and a question of safety and survival arose among the kids. However, I didn't like some of the small kids who killed Piggy, he is one of my favorite characters aside from Ralph. You see, he is intelligent and all that, you know. However, people have this innate evil thing inside them and this comes out when there is no order. This is true even with small kids who became brute and evil as the story unfolds (you should read yourself). Mind you, they were just small kids--about 5 to 6 years old.

No comments: