Saturday, May 3, 2008

Not Born Overnight

I have always been inspired to write. No. Not just something about myself because obviously, I may have interesting stories but I doubt if they could sustain the interest of people who do not know me. Besides, who am I? I'm not rich nor popular to be given special attention to. I want to write. Yes. In fact, I've always dreamt of becoming a writer soon. But of course, I know that writers are not born overnight as many reputable writers would brazenly say.

My greatest desire to become a writer springs from the fact that I want to contribute something for humanity. It is not for self glorification nor for greed of wanting to achieve immortality. You see, they say that there are three ways of which one can become immortal: plant a tree, have a child, and write a book. Yes. It does follow. But I think the best thing about writing a book is being able not only to share your knowledge to the wisdom-hungered youth but also to be able to involve oneself in shaping the future. I think that is more fulfilling, more meaningful.

Writers are not born overnight. So while my candle is still burning, I will continue to hone my skills in writing. I will continue reading because by doing so I know I will become the person I want to be. A writer who is not born overnight.

No comments: